Dating english registration marks
Several of these were adopted after 1882 by Doulton and remained in use for about twenty years. Occasionally found also between 19 along with B.7 but the later Holbein Wares were not always specifically marked.
Other devices occur incorporating the name of the pattern. This mark, adapted from a similar Lambeth mark incorporating a device of four interlocking D's was introduced c. An adaptation of B.4 used on the Holbein Wares mainly between 18.
This mark which differs from B.7 by the omission of the crown was in use between 19. The bottom part only of this mark is found on smaller wares up to the present day and by itself is not a useful indication of date.
Differing from B.7 by the addition of the words MADE IN ENGLAND, this mark was commonly in use after 1932.
1886 to mark the appointment of Henry Doulton as 'Potter to H. A simplified version showing only the coronet on a flat base and the word DOULTON was also used.
Between 1878 (when Henry and James Doulton acquired the major interest in the Pinder, Bourne factory in Nile Street, Burslem) and 1882 (when the name of the firm was changed to Doulton & Company, Burslem) existing Pinder, Bourne marks continued in use, such as the name in full: PINDER BOURNE CO.: and the initials P. Introduced in the latter part of 1901 to mark the grant of the Royal Warrant by King Edward VII together with the specific right to use the word ROYAL to designate Doulton products.By this time, of course, the lion and crown badge was in use so there need be no confusion.The RA-numbering was continued for several years after Allen had retired.It must be kept in mind that some patterns remained in production and usually kept the same number for many years.
The trade-marks were, however, changed several times between the 1880s and now, and these can help to establish the period of production.This unique gallery, at the Doulton Fine China Nile Street Pottery, Burslem, traces the story of Doulton from its foundation in 1815 and includes the world famous collection of several hundred rare figures.The gallery is named after Sir Henry Doulton, son of the founder of the company, who was the first potter ever to be knighted for services to ceramic art.Hand-painted, and largely hand-painted, wares designed and decorated by Robert Allen and artists in his studios, were often given RA-numbers, written by hand, in addition to the usual trade-mark and any other number.